The first round of questions is from Roxana:
What are the pros and cons of the covering and dresses? Do you run into situations where either or both are impractical or uncomfortable? Do you have variants based on season (Oklahoma gets very hot, as I’m sure you know)? What would you say to anyone worrying about these issues when it comes to the idea of transitioning?
Pros of Covering and Dresses, IMHO:
- Forces me to “care” about my appearance, whether my clothing is ironed, clean, and matching. As an Aspie, this is a big deal. Not that before covering & modesty, I didn’t care two pins about my appearance. I just gave little consideration on how others perceived me. Now that I stick out of the crowd, I like to give a good representation.
- Skirts allow air flow around one’s legs in summer, and with adequate layering in the winter, are warmer than pants.
- I look like a “lady”. The doors open before me; Ma’ams are spoken with greater frequency. The increased public respect is noticeable.
- My husband likes what I wear. If he is happy, then I am happy, generally speaking.
- Fitting skirts and dresses is infinitely easier than jeans.
- Coverings: Hair is easier to do up when it is long. Fashion potentials are greater. No sunburn on scalp. Air of mystery.
Cons of Wearing Dresses and Coverings:
- The windy-ness of Oklahoma has been a challenge. If I know the weather will be knock-me-flat gusty, I go for narrower skirts and tights. The tichel/hijab look is also wind-friendly.
- Dirt. If you work in it, I could see having to adjust your skirt expectations.
- Heat: this hasn’t been much of a difficulty for me (even near the Texas border) as I wear linen and cotton in layers during the summers. [And having spent several years in Arizona, I am heat tolerant.] But I could see other styles being stultifying. Your body does adjust to how covered you are. Just think of the Bedouin who wear cotton/wool layers against the desert.
- Other considerations….hmmm….I can’t really think of any. If the dear readers have other Pros/Cons they can add them to the comments.